1. What’s one thing you learned in September?
That trying to highlight sentences on an academic paper while reading it on the train is a bit of a wobbly squiggly exercise.
2. Acorn squash, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, or blech! hold the squash… what’s your favorite squash? What’s your favorite way to prepare your favorite squash?
Squash is diluting juice here. I don’t really like diluting juice as most of them have no sugar and use unhealthy sweeteners instead (but branding makes ‘No added sugar’ sound so healthy!). But on the vegetable stuff I do LOVE butternut squash. I just don’t know how to get into one, so usually rely on other people to cook with them. My friend Vicky’s Butternut Squash Risotto is AMAZING!
3. The older I get the_______________________________.
…clumsier I seem to become!
4. What’s your favorite television theme song ever?
Now that’s a tough one. I think it’s a triple tie between Friends, How I Met Your Mother and The Gummi Bears. I don’t know if you got Gummi Bears in the USA, so just in case…
5. What do you wish you’d spent more time doing five years ago?
I’m trying to remember what I was doing five years ago. It was 2008. To be honest, I was pretty much doing as much as I could in life back then! I lived in a flat in Leith, went to a ton of weddings, became a godmother, was working two jobs, starting singing with Powerpoint, trying to be more ethical in how I spent my money, building friendships and trying to hold it together as my family fell apart. I’m happy with the choices I made back then.
6. What item do you most need (or want) to add to your wardrobe this fall?
I really do need some comfortable winter shoes/boots as I had to chuck out my beloved Doc Marten wedge boots last year (I managed to get 2 more years out of them despite them starting to get leaky and would creak when I walked!) The hand-me-down boots I got from a friend are just not suitable for commuting to and from uni and when it gets icy trying to get up the steep hill around the campus could be a recipe for disaster. I’ve come home with a blister on the sole of my foot today.
7. On October 2, 1950 the Peanuts cartoon was introduced to the world. What was your favorite cartoon when you were a kid?
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I did consider saying the thing I’ve learned this month is that I’m not a morning person. However, I already knew that. The commuting days to university have just reaffirmed this truth. Last week I took a tumble trying to catch a bus. Today (yesterday) I was walking along the road when I suddenly got pulled back…my crazy hair had got caught in a hedge. Not many people can literally say that their ‘hair looks like it got dragged through a hedge backwards‘
Never mind, last week I got to try out my new koala gloves while ice skating for first time in ?? years!